Self-catering holiday cottage
This statement provides details about Juniper Cottage, which some guests may need for deciding whether
the accommodation is suitable for them. Measurements are provided where appropriate, such as the clearance
width through doors and details of the stairs.
People with restricted mobility or other impairment may need such information to confirm suitability.
Juniper Cottage is a 2-storey mid-terraced house, one of seven holiday cottages arranged around
a level tarmac courtyard providing off-road parking. Easy access from a main road,
with space for turning round in the courtyard.
Unlike some cottages in the Lake District, road access is not a problem at any time of year.
From the cottage it is an easy mostly level walk into the centre of Ambleside, giving access to shops, Tourist
Information, Post Office, cinema, local buses and taxis. There are many good eating places, pubs and takeaways
within walking distance.
Bookings and Enquiries
All bookings and enquiries are handled now by Lakelovers (formerly Lakes Cottage Holidays), (part of Sykes Cottages),
who will provide you with the key to the cottage and will help with any questions or problems during your stay.
Arrival and Parking
- Road directions will be provided with confirmation of booking
- Easy route from nearby M6 motorway
- Easy road access from a main road
- Off-road parking for one car
- Entrance is just 10 m level walk from the parking space
- Key by combination keybox near door
- Door keyhole is 100 cm above courtyard
- Door handle is 105 cm above courtyard
- Single stone step 3 cm up from courtyard
- Further 3 cm up over metal threshold
- Entrance door opens inwards, hinged at right, clearance width 70 cm
- All rooms have high ceilings, making the cottage feel quite spacious
- Walls and ceilings are light colours, carpets are darker colours
- Decorations generally neutral with most woodwork as natural medium/light wood
- Skirting (except bathroom), doors, stairs, handrails are natural wood
- Door handles and fittings are solid brass
- Lounge/dining room, stairs, landing and bedroom are fully carpeted
- All carpets are short pile
- All furnishings and bedding are non-feather
- Blankets available
- No smoking in the cottage
- Pets accepted, along with considerate owners. Pets are not allowed on any furniture or bed.
Dog hairs must be cleaned up before departure.
- Ground floor is open-plan lounge and dining area with kitchen at rear
- Upstairs for bedroom and bathroom. The only toilet is in the bathroom.
- Room heating is by overnight electric storage heaters plus electric fan heaters
- Water heating is by overnight electric tank heater with daytime top-up
- Most light switches are modern rocker type, typical height 135 cm
- All electrical sockets are switched, typical height 35 cm (except kitchen)
- Audible smoke alarms upstairs and downstairs
- Instruction leaflets in the cottage for all electrical appliances
- Coathooks height 195 cm
- Storage shelf height 75 cm, with racks underneath for shoes and boots
- Wall map of the Lake District and also map of Ambleside town
- Door into lounge opens inwards, hinged at left, clearance width 71 cm
Lounge and Dining Area
- Easy seating (armchair plus 2-seat sofa) with seats height 45 cm
- Smart HD TV and Blu-ray DVD player
- Various board games and cards plus books, DVDs and CDs
- Round dining table 91 cm diameter and 76 cm high
- Dining chairs have padded seats, 48 cm high
- Separate light directly over dining table
- Good lighting from suspended ceiling spotlights and also lights under cupboards and over cooker hob
- Kitchen units are cream colour with contrasting metal knobs
- Kitchen flooring is wood laminate
- Solid worktops height 92 cm, speckled grey colour
- Kitchen sink has bowl to right, drainer to left
- Electric cooker has 4 hotplates and 2 ovens:
- Hob height 90 cm with control knobs at the front and ovens below
- Control knobs 90 cm above floor
- Main oven door is hinged at left
- Top oven/grill door hinges down
- Extractor fan and light above cooker, controls at height 170 cm
- Some cooking fumes may trigger smoke alarms: you may need to open windows and doors
- Fridge and separate freezer under kitchen worktop
- Dishwasher under worktop. Reduced width machine.
- Washing machine under worktop. Front loading. Washing and drying.
- Walk-in storage cupboard with light. Door opens outwards, hinged at left, clearance width 55 cm
- Stairs are in 2 sections, with a flat square half-landing part-way up
- 12 steps up to half-landing, then turn right and further 5 steps up to landing
- Width of each tread is 79 cm
- Half-landing is flat, 90 cm x 90 cm
- Handrail to left for both sections of stairs
Conversion from original 2-bedroom cottage to give good sized bedroom with plenty of space.
- Door opens inwards, hinged at right, clearance width 69 cm
- Solid wood double bed with slatted base and centre supports
- Firm mattress width 135 cm, length 190 cm, top of mattress 60 cm above floor
- Non-feather duvets and pillows
- Oak furniture with metal handles. Wardrobe, chest of drawers and bedside cabinets.
- Small table and 2 chairs
- Bedside lights and spotlights give choice of illumination
- LED digital HD TV fixed high up facing the bed so can be viewed from the bed
- Digital radio / CD player / Bluetooth
- Controllable coloured "mood lighting"
- Largest free space clear of furniture and door is approx 150 cm x 150 cm
Modern bathroom with wide bath and electric shower over the bath with folding glass shower screen.
The bathroom includes the only toilet in the cottage, along with a washbasin.
Floor area is quite small but with high ceiling.
- Door opens inwards, hinged at left, clearance width 63 cm
- In emergency, bathroom door lock can be opened from outside with a coin
- Pull-cord light switch, cord 125 cm above floor
- Fully-tiled white with several contrasting narrow vertical strips of dark tiles
- Light-coloured laminate flooring. White skirting. White bath, basin and toilet.
- Toilet seat height 43 cm, limited gap to right of toilet of 13 cm
- Toilet is dual flush: push buttons on top of cistern, height 80 cm
- Basin height 80 cm
- Wide bath 57 cm high, inside width 70 cm at shower end
- Bath and basin taps are smooth white ceramic, may be slippery to turn when wet
- Grab handle on back wall above bath, 110 cm above base of bath
- Grab handle in showering area, 70 cm above base of bath
- Electric shower is "Mira Advance", highest control 140 cm above base of bath
- Shower head is adjustable height and can be detached. Head has adjustable spray settings.
- Pull-cord shower main switch, cord 132 cm above floor
- Electric heated panel for drying towels and warming bathroom
- Pull-cord fan heater, cord 145 cm above floor
- High skylight can be opened for extra ventilation if needed using a long wood pole.
Requires some coordination to engage pole's hook into window's eye to open and close.
The cottage does not have a garden, but 2 deckchairs are provided (stored in the walk-in under-stairs cupboard)
for use in the courtyard. View of Fairfield mountain range from the courtyard. Road traffic can be noisy.
Ambleside is centrally positioned in the Lake District so being a good base for exploring in any direction.
The roads can become congested at peak times and many roads are winding and require care.
In winter, some minor roads and high level passes may become unusable.
Good roads north to Grasmere and Keswick, south to Windermere and Kendal, west to Consiston and Hawkshead.
Local buses and taxis provide an alternative to using the car, and allow the many country pubs
to be enjoyed at leisure.
You must turn left when leaving the courtyard as the road is one-way. At the bottom of the bank,
turn left to go south (Windermere) or west (Coniston), turn right to go north (Keswick) or to continue
round the one-way system. This junction requires care: two-way traffic to the left,
one-way traffic going off to the right.
Main bus stops are in the centre of Ambleside, 200 m from the cottage
Taxis in the centre of Ambleside outside the Tourist Information office, 400 m from the cottage
Nearest station is 4 miles south at Windermere, which joins the main line at Oxenholme near Kendal
Scheduled services on Lake Windermere from Waterhead at the south end of Ambleside,
1 km (½ mile) from the cottage
Ambleside has become a thriving tourist centre, providing many shops and services for visitors as well as for
the local community. As the town centre is an easy walk from the cottage, all these facilities are readily
accessible. Most walks are level or gently sloping.
- Tourist Information: in town centre,
400 m (phone: 015394 68135)
- Post Office: within Tourist Information
- Cashpoint machine (ATM): in the main street outside Tesco, 300 m
- Chemist: in the main street, 300 m
- Petrol station: at the top of Wansfell Road (only 50 m from the cottage, but you will have to drive round
the one-way system)
- Nearest shop for simple provisions: at the petrol station, 50 m
- Food shops, outdoor shops, gift shops etc: mostly around 400 m
- Nearest superstore: Booths
in Windermere, 4 miles south (015394 46114)
- We also have a Tesco Express in Ambleside: in the main street, 300 m
- Cinema: Zeffirellis in Compston Road,
400 m (015394 33845)
- Garden centre: Hayes,
400 m south (015394 33434)
- Doctors: Ambleside Group Practice,
800 m north (015394 32693)
- Dentist: Ambleside Mint Dental Practice
in Rydal Road, 600 m (015394 34999)
- Vet: Oakhill Vet Centre in Church Street, 300 m (015394 32631)
- Nearest open area for exercising dogs: Rothay Park, 500 m
- Nearest RADAR public toilet: Rothay Park (and also at the main car parks)
Useful phone numbers
- Emergency (fire, police, ambulance, mountain rescue): 999
- Police non-emergency: 101
- National Health Service (for medical advice): 111
( Statement date: October 2023 )